Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New Feature! "Tuesdays with Talent"

I have been very fortunate, throughout my career, to meet some incredibly talented people.  I have decided to introduce you to one of these amazing people each Tuesday in a blog series called "Tuesday's with Talent".  Without further adieu, may I introduce our very first "Tuesday's with Talent" feature....


Nancy Stuckwisch of Silver Magpies has had a life-long fascination with vintage silver. She began Silver Magpies to sell antique and vintage silver and blogs regularly about it on Notes & Observations. She believes we should get the silver out of the cupboard, onto the table, and then into the dishwasher.  Get her (free) e-book Every Day Best: 7 reasons to get your silverware out of storage and start using it right now!

Q: What would you say is your talent?

A: Making sterling silver flatware an item of interest and worthy of everyday use for people.  We’re all so busy, and silver has an unfair reputation of being old-fashioned and high maintenance.  It’s neither of those things and fits very smoothly into modern life.  It’s one of those things that add to making Every Day Best. (My comment: Nancy is very talented at connecting people--you really should follow her)

Q: How did/when did you discover this talent (or passion)

My Grandmother inspired me when I was very small.  She used to tell me stories about “before you were born” and I was always fascinated when she would then show me an object owned or used by that person - amazing! I’ve admired and studied vintage silver all my life, it has always interested me.

Q: What need/problem/condition do you serve?

Silver Magpies addresses two issues.  The first is providing resources for people to learn about silver. The more my customers know about silver the better.

The second is to show people how silver can easily become a part of everyday life.  It doesn’t matter if you have a single spoon or a whole grand set.  Don’t store it away - just use it.

Q: Who is your customer?

My customer is confident and inquisitive.  They are certain of their own taste and feel comfortable living by their own rules. Many, many of my clients have told me they prefer quality over quantity and want their homes to be an expression of their taste, not a replica of someone else’s.

Q: What do you like most about your job?

I love, love, love finding a tarnished piece of silver and then diving into the books to track down as much information about it as I can.  It so incredibly rewarding, especially when a hunch about an obscure piece is correct!

Q: What do you like least about your job?

Without doubt it’s informing someone that a piece they thought was sterling silver is silverplate. It happens far more often than you might think and it’s always awful to do. It’s the main reason why I have added, and continue to add, identification resources to my site and discuss the issue on the blog.

Q: What do you want our readers to know about your business?

Silver Magpies is passionate about silver - not just for it’s physical beauty, but for what it can tell us about history, politics, art, economics, social and personal fashions at the time it was made. I want people to know that when they use a silver piece it is part of a tradition and history that stretches back for thousands of years.  That’s a lot to be packed into a single everyday spoon!

Q: How can we reach you?

The best way to reach me is via email: Nancy@SilverMagpies.com
On Twitter I’m @SilverMagpies
On Facebook I’m http://www/Facebook.com/SilverMagpies

If you search SilverMagpies or Silver Magpies on Google you’ll find me.

Q: Is there anything you would like to add?

Thank you so much for inviting me, I’m very flattered to be thought of as “Tuesday with Talent! It’s been a real pleasure getting to know you.


It it has been wonderful getting to know you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment